A. Levin Fine Tailor

Clothier
c. 1913 - c. 1926

117 North Church Street
Spartanburg, SC 29306

FAMILIES: Levin

Abraham “Abe” Levin (1877-1922) was born in Warsaw, Poland and immigrated to New York around 1900 with his wife, Gertrude (b. 1878), and eldest children David (b. 1898) and Rose (b. 1900). Their two youngest daughters, Bessie (b. 1902) and Sara (b. 1907), were born in New York and Virginia. The family briefly lived in Columbia in 1910 and 1911, where Abe worked for Phil D. Kohn, a merchant tailor on Main Street. The Levins moved to Spartanburg by 1913, where Abe opened A. Levin Fine Tailor at 113 ½ Main Street. Although only 15, David was also listed as a tailor at his father’s shop. From at least 1916 until 1924, A. Levin operated out of 117 N. Church Street. Abe Levin died in 1922, and David assumed management of the business. Both David and Bessie were employed there as late as 1924, although it closed by 1927.

The Jewish Merchant Project is supported by the generosity of the Norman and Gerry Sue Arnold Foundation and the Stanley B. Farbstein Endowment at the Coastal Community Foundation. Longtime members of the JHSSC, Mr. Arnold obm, a merchant himself, and Mr. Farbstein obm were both children of South Carolina Jewish merchants.

JHSSC Office
Sylvia Vlosky Yaschik Jewish Studies Center
96 Wentworth Street
Charleston, SC 29424
Phone: 843 953 3918
Email: jhssc@cofc.edu