B.J. Barnett, Dry Goods

Merchant
c. 1840 - 1881


Manville, SC

FAMILIES: Barnett and Loryea

B.J. Barnett immigrated from Estonia (Russia) in the 1830s or 1840s and settled in Manville (Lee County), where he operated a dry goods business until about 1881. He married Zelda Loryea (1829-1882), an immigrant from Canada, and together they had eight children. Two of B.J.’s sons opened a store in Mayesville (Sumter County) and farmed. B.J. and another son, Henry Davis Barnett (1862-1950) moved to Sumter in 1880 to open a second general merchandise store, which was incorporated in 1948 as BJ Barnett, Inc.

The Jewish Merchant Project is supported by the generosity of the Norman and Gerry Sue Arnold Foundation and the Stanley B. Farbstein Endowment at the Coastal Community Foundation. Longtime members of the JHSSC, Mr. Arnold obm, a merchant himself, and Mr. Farbstein obm were both children of South Carolina Jewish merchants.

JHSSC Office
Sylvia Vlosky Yaschik Jewish Studies Center
96 Wentworth Street
Charleston, SC 29424
Phone: 843 953 3918
Email: jhssc@cofc.edu