B.M. Surasky’s

Grocery
1917-1961

120 Laurens St SW
Aiken, SC 29801

FAMILIES: Polier and Surasky

Around 1886, Benedict Morris “B.M.” Surasky  (1862-1934) and his wife, Sarah Anna Polier Surasky, (1864-1959) immigrated to the United States from Knyszyn, Poland. While B.M. Surasky peddled around the Aiken countryside with his brothers in the final years of the nineteenth century, Sarah Anna Polier Surasky gave birth to her and B.M.’s son, Mandle Surasky (1898-1986). During Mandel Surasky’s youth, his father was partnering with his brothers in numerous dry goods businesses on Laurens Street. After ceasing his business relations with his brothers, Mandel Surasky’s father opened B.M. Surasky’s at 842 Laurens Street (present-day 120 Laurens Street SW), in the same building as his previous undertaking. In 1926, B.M. Surasky purchased the Lupo building, the site of his business, for $11,000. B.M. Surasky operated the business with his son Mandel Surasky until his passing in 1931. After his father’s death, Mandel Surasky ran the business until he decided to close the store in 1961.  

Main Image:

Advertisement for B.M. Surasky’s store, 1921. Reprinted from the Aiken Standard, August 3, 1921. 

The Jewish Merchant Project is supported by the generosity of the Norman and Gerry Sue Arnold Foundation and the Stanley B. Farbstein Endowment at the Coastal Community Foundation. Longtime members of the JHSSC, Mr. Arnold obm, a merchant himself, and Mr. Farbstein obm were both children of South Carolina Jewish merchants.

JHSSC Office
Sylvia Vlosky Yaschik Jewish Studies Center
96 Wentworth Street
Charleston, SC 29424
Phone: 843 953 3918
Email: jhssc2020@gmail.com