Carolina Mercantile Company

Merchant
1916-1924

136 West Main Street
Spartanburg, SC 29306

FAMILIES: Meyerson; Schwartz

Russian immigrant Julius Schwartz (b. 1888) and New York native Abraham “Abe” Meyerson (b. 1895) opened Carolina Mercantile Company, a men’s clothing store, about 1916. Both arrived in Spartanburg about 1911, where Meyerson joined his brother, Louis Alexander Meyerson (1893-1980), who was clerking at A. Goldberg, their brother-in-law’s, Abraham “Abe” Goldberg (b. 1877), store. Golberg had married their sister, Esther Meyerson Goldberg (1881-1969) and moved to Spartanburg about 1903. Schwartz briefly worked at American Supply Company in 1911. The store closed by 1924 after Schwartz left Spartanburg. Meyerson later served as a manager at Goldberg’s. 

The Jewish Merchant Project is supported by the generosity of the Norman and Gerry Sue Arnold Foundation and the Stanley B. Farbstein Endowment at the Coastal Community Foundation. Longtime members of the JHSSC, Mr. Arnold obm, a merchant himself, and Mr. Farbstein obm were both children of South Carolina Jewish merchants.

JHSSC Office
Sylvia Vlosky Yaschik Jewish Studies Center
96 Wentworth Street
Charleston, SC 29424
Phone: 843 953 3918
Email: jhssc@cofc.edu