Dixie Liquor Store

Liquor Store

113 West Benson Street
Anderson, SC 29624

FAMILIES:

Dixie Liquor Store, owned by Nathan Fleishman (1894-1969), operated between 1936 and 1955 at 113 West Benson Street. Called “Anderson’s Most Complete Stock of Fine Wines, Liquors and Cordials at Lowest Prices,” the store was managed by Nathan’s youngest brother, Joseph B. Fleishman (1908-1975). Both brothers were born in Maryland, with 12-year-old Nathan arriving in Anderson first to join his uncle Samuel Fleishman’s (1880-1955) store, B. Fleishman & Bros. That store, which opened in 1906, would later be bought by Nathan and Philip Klyne, who renamed it Fleishman Company.

The Jewish Merchant Project is supported by the generosity of the Norman and Gerry Sue Arnold Foundation and the Stanley B. Farbstein Endowment at the Coastal Community Foundation. Longtime members of the JHSSC, Mr. Arnold obm, a merchant himself, and Mr. Farbstein obm were both children of South Carolina Jewish merchants.

JHSSC Office
Sylvia Vlosky Yaschik Jewish Studies Center
96 Wentworth Street
Charleston, SC 29424
Phone: 843 953 3918
Email: jhssc@cofc.edu