Russian immigrants Joseph Doobrow (1873-1945) and his wife, Mary Goldberg (1877-1955), opened Doobrow Grocery at 36 Inspection Street about 1916. They previously operated J. Doobrow Clothing at 611 King Street. They had seven children: Ida (1900-1992), Irving “Isadore” (1903-1992), Louie Doobrow (1905-1980), Alexander Doobrow (1909-1948), Bella Doobrow (1911-1992), Basha Doobrow (1915-2003), and Mordecai Doobrow (1917-1988), who all lived above the store with their parents. In 1931, Mary assumed management of the grocery, which was subsequently called M. Doobrow Grocery. The couple remained in residence after the store closed in 1938.