Franzblau

Clothier
1935-Unknown

Laurens Street
Aiken, SC

FAMILIES: Franzblau

Opened by Nettie Franzblau Franzblau (1900-1992) in 1935 as Nettie’s Thrift Shop, by 1940 she moved to Laurens Street and renamed her business Franzblau. Her son, Arnold Franzblau (1927-2014), later recalled the great success of the store, which he joked was the “second best women’s store in Aiken, because the best store was Miss Julia Wolf.” She and her husband also operated Franzblau Hardware Store in Aiken beginning around 1934.

The Jewish Merchant Project is supported by the generosity of the Norman and Gerry Sue Arnold Foundation and the Stanley B. Farbstein Endowment at the Coastal Community Foundation. Longtime members of the JHSSC, Mr. Arnold obm, a merchant himself, and Mr. Farbstein obm were both children of South Carolina Jewish merchants.

JHSSC Office
Sylvia Vlosky Yaschik Jewish Studies Center
96 Wentworth Street
Charleston, SC 29424
Phone: 843 953 3918
Email: jhssc@cofc.edu