G.G. Richman Liquor Store

Liquor Store
c. 1945-1962

29 S. Mill Street
Manning, SC

FAMILIES: Richman

George Richman (1919-1993), son of Polish immigrants, opened a liquor store in the northern portion of the stable rented by his father, Sam Richman (1895-1970) after his return from service in WWII. The store closed around 1962, and the building sat vacant until 1985 when the Land family purchased it and added an interior courtyard during extensive renovations.

Main Image: 

George Richman, circa 1940.  

Image courtesy Clarendon County Archives & History Center

The Jewish Merchant Project is supported by the generosity of the Norman and Gerry Sue Arnold Foundation and the Stanley B. Farbstein Endowment at the Coastal Community Foundation. Longtime members of the JHSSC, Mr. Arnold obm, a merchant himself, and Mr. Farbstein obm were both children of South Carolina Jewish merchants.

JHSSC Office
Sylvia Vlosky Yaschik Jewish Studies Center
96 Wentworth Street
Charleston, SC 29424
Phone: 843 953 3918
Email: jhssc@cofc.edu