Gordin Brothers

Clothier
1907? – 1909?

12 W. Russell Street
Orangeburg, SC

FAMILIES: Gordin

Brothers Louis Gordin (1880-1962), Morris Gordin (1885-1957), and Reubin Gordin (1887-1937) immigrated from Lomsk, Russia between 1905 and 1906 and settled in South Carolina. They changed their last name from Gorodinskaya to Gordin and opened Gordin Brothers in Orangeburg by 1907. The brothers later founded dry goods stores in Lake City, Manning, Greeleyville, Pinewood, Sumter, and Summerton.

Main Image: The Yelman and Gorodinskaya families, circa 1923. Image courtesy Rachel Gordin Barnett

The Jewish Merchant Project is supported by the generosity of the Norman and Gerry Sue Arnold Foundation and the Stanley B. Farbstein Endowment at the Coastal Community Foundation. Longtime members of the JHSSC, Mr. Arnold obm, a merchant himself, and Mr. Farbstein obm were both children of South Carolina Jewish merchants.

JHSSC Office
Sylvia Vlosky Yaschik Jewish Studies Center
96 Wentworth Street
Charleston, SC 29424
Phone: 843 953 3918
Email: jhssc@cofc.edu