H.L. Polier’s Store

Clothier
1898-1936

144-150 Laurens Street SW
Aiken, SC 29801

FAMILIES: Friedel, Engel, and Polier

Harris L. Polier (1850-1921) was responsible for initiating a chain migration of European Jews to Aiken. Arriving in Aiken around the mid-1880s, Harris L. Polier peddled for a few years until he opened his clothing store, H.L. Polier’s, around 1888. There he and his wife, Fannie Friedel Polier (1863-1943), worked as a team, selling clothing and general merchandise to Aiken customers. After reading about an individual who had been jailed for being a vagrant, H.L. Polier in March 1919 provided the unfortunate person with a complete outfit from his store. Polier told the Aiken Standard later that month that he had previously employed a transient who turned out to be one of his best workers. After he passed away in 1921, his wife, Fannie, continued the business until 1939, with help from a Mrs. Engel and Polier’s daughter-in-law, Ruth Slater Polier (1902-2006). 

Main Image: Advertisement for H.L. Polier’s Store, 1917. Reprinted from the Spartanburg Herald-Journal, December 12, 1917. 

The Jewish Merchant Project is supported by the generosity of the Norman and Gerry Sue Arnold Foundation and the Stanley B. Farbstein Endowment at the Coastal Community Foundation. Longtime members of the JHSSC, Mr. Arnold obm, a merchant himself, and Mr. Farbstein obm were both children of South Carolina Jewish merchants.

JHSSC Office
Sylvia Vlosky Yaschik Jewish Studies Center
96 Wentworth Street
Charleston, SC 29424
Phone: 843 953 3918
Email: jhssc@cofc.edu