Israel Truere, Grocer

Grocery
1916-1921

50 Bogard Street
Charleston, SC 29403

FAMILIES: Truere, Edwards

Israel Truere (1871-1922), his wife, Marcia (1873-1942), and his son, Joseph (1895-1948) immigrated in 1907 from Gitomar, Russia to Galveston, Texas. While living in Texas, Israel and Marcia had another son, Harry (1908-1978), but moved to Charleston by 1910. Israel initially worked as a salesman, and in 1915 operated a restaurant at 76 Calhoun Street. He purchased 50 Bogard Street in 1916 and established a grocery store on the first level. The entire family initially lived on the second floor. Following Israel’s death in 1921, the grocery was managed by H.C. Edwards, as Joseph had already established a career as a chauffeur.

Main Image: 50 Bogard Street, 2018


Israel Truere’s Naturalization Certificate

The Jewish Merchant Project is supported by the generosity of the Norman and Gerry Sue Arnold Foundation and the Stanley B. Farbstein Endowment at the Coastal Community Foundation. Longtime members of the JHSSC, Mr. Arnold obm, a merchant himself, and Mr. Farbstein obm were both children of South Carolina Jewish merchants.

JHSSC Office
Sylvia Vlosky Yaschik Jewish Studies Center
96 Wentworth Street
Charleston, SC 29424
Phone: 843 953 3918
Email: jhssc@cofc.edu