J. Adelsburg

Merchant
1922 – circa 1929


Mayesville, SC

FAMILIES: Adelsburg, Kolestski

Jack Adelsburg (1895-1965) immigrated from Poland in 1911 and settled in Mayesville by 1920, where he worked as a salesman for a dry goods store. He married Esther Kolestski (1895-1969) sometime in the 1920s and together they opened a dry goods store in Mayesville in 1922. The store closed around 1929 following the opening of a second store in Sumter. The Adelsburgs moved to Sumter by 1930.

The Jewish Merchant Project is supported by the generosity of the Norman and Gerry Sue Arnold Foundation and the Stanley B. Farbstein Endowment at the Coastal Community Foundation. Longtime members of the JHSSC, Mr. Arnold obm, a merchant himself, and Mr. Farbstein obm were both children of South Carolina Jewish merchants.

JHSSC Office
Sylvia Vlosky Yaschik Jewish Studies Center
96 Wentworth Street
Charleston, SC 29424
Phone: 843 953 3918
Email: jhssc@cofc.edu