M. Gordin

Merchant
1930? - 1982

Main Street
Summerton, SC

FAMILIES: Gordin

Morris Gordin (1885-1957) moved with his family to Summerton sometime after 1930 and opened M. Gordin, which sold dry goods, shoes, ladies and men’s ready-to-wear clothing. After Morris’s death in 1957, his son David Gordin (1928-2013) inherited the store, which was subsequently known as Gordin’s Dry Good Store. Ruth Furse assumed day-to-day management until its closure in 1982.

Main Image: Envelope addressed to David Gordin on M. Gordin’s stationery, 1948. Image courtesy Rachel Gordin Barnett

Below Image: Letter written to David Gordin on M. Gordin’s stationery, 1948. Image courtesy Rachel Gordin Barnett

Below Image: Broadside announcing the closing of Gordin’s Dry Good Store, 1982. Image courtesy Rachel Gordin Barnett

The Jewish Merchant Project is supported by the generosity of the Norman and Gerry Sue Arnold Foundation and the Stanley B. Farbstein Endowment at the Coastal Community Foundation. Longtime members of the JHSSC, Mr. Arnold obm, a merchant himself, and Mr. Farbstein obm were both children of South Carolina Jewish merchants.

JHSSC Office
Sylvia Vlosky Yaschik Jewish Studies Center
96 Wentworth Street
Charleston, SC 29424
Phone: 843 953 3918
Email: jhssc@cofc.edu