Marcus Department Store

Merchant
1933-2010

129-131 East Main Street
Kingstree, SC

FAMILIES: Genderson, Marcus, Mixon, and Rosen

Harry Marcus (1892-1963) came to Kingstree in 1920. He worked as a dry goods salesman until opening his own store, Harry Marcus, Inc., in 1933. It was later renamed Marcus Department Store. He married Kathleen Mixon (1909-1990) in 1936. His nephew, Herman Morris “Hymie” Marcus (1918-1967) began working summers at the store in the early 1940s and subsequently relocated to Kingstree with his family in 1944. After Harry retired in 1960, Hymie and Harry’s brother, William Marcus (1893-1982), took over the business. Hymie’s wife, Dorothy Rosen (1920-2001) assumed sole ownership after her husband’s death in 1967. Their three children, David Joel Marcus (1946-2015), Gail Marcus Genderson, and Rochelle Marcus, all grew up working in the store, with David assuming management in 1976. The store closed in 2010.

Main Image: Dotty and David Marcus run Marcus Department Store’s “Old Fashion Days,” circa 1989. Image courtesy of Shelly Brenner 

 

Below Document: Reprinted from the Kingstree County Record, March 9, 1933 

Kingstree_Marcus_Department_Store_2

The Jewish Merchant Project is supported by the generosity of the Norman and Gerry Sue Arnold Foundation and the Stanley B. Farbstein Endowment at the Coastal Community Foundation. Longtime members of the JHSSC, Mr. Arnold obm, a merchant himself, and Mr. Farbstein obm were both children of South Carolina Jewish merchants.

JHSSC Office
Sylvia Vlosky Yaschik Jewish Studies Center
96 Wentworth Street
Charleston, SC 29424
Phone: 843 953 3918
Email: jhssc@cofc.edu