N. Nathans and Co.

Liquor Store
1822 - c.1852

342 King Street
Charleston, SC

FAMILIES: Nathans, Hertz

Nathan Nathans (b. 1784), a merchant who immigrated from England, arrived in Charleston in 1801. He married Sarah Hertz in 1821. The following year he and his father-in-law, H. M. Hertz, opened Onezime Pillot at 342 King Street. Sometime before 1925 the store was renamed N. Nathans and Company and was located at 10 North King Street by 1840. Although the partnership between Nathans and Hertz dissolved N. Nathans and Company at the end of 1825, N. Nathans continues to appear as a merchant on King Street until 1852. Either he or his son, Levy, applied for a license to sell spirits under the partnership Berlin & Nathans in 1851. Additionally, Sarah Nathans hired out at least one enslaved person owned by the family in 1858.

Main image: Reprinted from The Charleston Courier, January 5, 1855

The Jewish Merchant Project is supported by the generosity of the Norman and Gerry Sue Arnold Foundation and the Stanley B. Farbstein Endowment at the Coastal Community Foundation. Longtime members of the JHSSC, Mr. Arnold obm, a merchant himself, and Mr. Farbstein obm were both children of South Carolina Jewish merchants.

JHSSC Office
Sylvia Vlosky Yaschik Jewish Studies Center
96 Wentworth Street
Charleston, SC 29424
Phone: 843 953 3918
Email: jhssc@cofc.edu