Nathan Yaschik (1878-1959) immigrated from Kaluszyn, Poland to Charleston in 1913, where he initially worked as an ice cream cart peddler. In 1914, while employed as a clerk at Kaufman & Feldbrand’s grocery store at 49 Elizabeth Street, his wife, Elka (1878-1961), and sons, Benjamin (1901-1946) and Henry (1909-2000), also immigrated from Poland. The following year, Nathan opened his own grocery at 131 Queen Street. In 1918, he opened a dry goods store at 150 King Street. He ran both businesses for one year before closing the grocery store.