National Men’s Wear Shop

Clothier
1939-1948

156 East Main Street
Spartanburg, SC 29306

FAMILIES: Gelburd; Robkin

New York native Barney Gelburd (1910-1963) and Russian immigrant Ralph S. Robkin (1910-1986) opened this store at 156 E. Main Street in 1939. In 1945, they rebranded as Robkin & Gelburd.

The Jewish Merchant Project is supported by the generosity of the Norman and Gerry Sue Arnold Foundation and the Stanley B. Farbstein Endowment at the Coastal Community Foundation. Longtime members of the JHSSC, Mr. Arnold obm, a merchant himself, and Mr. Farbstein obm were both children of South Carolina Jewish merchants.

JHSSC Office
Sylvia Vlosky Yaschik Jewish Studies Center
96 Wentworth Street
Charleston, SC 29424
Phone: 843 953 3918
Email: jhssc@cofc.edu