Reubin Gordin & Company

Merchant
1911 - 1922

Main Street
Summerton, SC

FAMILIES: Gordin

Reubin Gordin, who immigrated from Lomsk, Russia around 1905 with his brothers, Louis Gordin (1880-1962) and Morris Gordin (1885-1957), and opened Gordin Brothers in Orangeburg by 1907, operated a store in Summerton by 1911. Although considered a prominent merchant, Gordin auctioned off the contents of the store in early 1922. Prior to the auction, there store’s contents were appraised at $2,814.79.

Main Image: Advertisement announcing the planned closure of Reubin Gordin & Company. Reprinted from the Manning Times, July 2, 1919 

 

Left Image: Advertisement announcing the planned closure of Reubin Gordin & Company. Reprinted from the Manning Times, July 2, 1919 

 

Above Image: Auction of goods at Reubin Gordin’s Greeleyville and Summerton stores. Reprinted from the Manning Times, February 22, 1922

The Jewish Merchant Project is supported by the generosity of the Norman and Gerry Sue Arnold Foundation and the Stanley B. Farbstein Endowment at the Coastal Community Foundation. Longtime members of the JHSSC, Mr. Arnold obm, a merchant himself, and Mr. Farbstein obm were both children of South Carolina Jewish merchants.

JHSSC Office
Sylvia Vlosky Yaschik Jewish Studies Center
96 Wentworth Street
Charleston, SC 29424
Phone: 843 953 3918
Email: jhssc@cofc.edu