Richman & Sons Stables

Merchant
1929-1962

27-29 S. Mill Street
Manning, SC

FAMILIES: Leff and Richman

Sam Richman (1895-1970) and his wife, Anna Leff (1898-1962) both immigrants from Wyszkow, Poland, began renting this mule stable in 1929. In addition to livestock, they also operated a mortgage business out of the stable and sold furs. The northern section of the building later became G.G. Richman Liquor Store, which their son, George Richman (1919-1993), took over sometime in the 1940s. The Richmans purchased the structure in 1953. After the stable closed in 1962, the building sat vacant until 1985, when the Land family purchased it and added an interior courtyard during extensive renovations. George later recalled that during the 1930s, the mules shipped from outside South Carolina were led off railroad cars by a grey mare owned by his father, whom the mules “thought was their mother.”

Main Image: 

Stationary for Richman & Sons Stables, featuring the arched stable entrance at 29 S. Mill Street. 

Image courtesy Clarendon County Archives & History Center

Above Image:

George Richman, circa 1940.  

Image courtesy Clarendon County Archives & History Center

 

Above Image: 

Advertisement in The State newspaper placed by Sam Richman, June 14, 1937.

The Jewish Merchant Project is supported by the generosity of the Norman and Gerry Sue Arnold Foundation and the Stanley B. Farbstein Endowment at the Coastal Community Foundation. Longtime members of the JHSSC, Mr. Arnold obm, a merchant himself, and Mr. Farbstein obm were both children of South Carolina Jewish merchants.

JHSSC Office
Sylvia Vlosky Yaschik Jewish Studies Center
96 Wentworth Street
Charleston, SC 29424
Phone: 843 953 3918
Email: jhssc@cofc.edu