Richman’s Department Store

Clothier
1929 - c. 1962

19-21 W. Boyce Street
Manning, SC

FAMILIES: Clark, Leff, and Richman

Sam Richman (1895-1970) and his wife, Anna Leff (1898-1962) both immigrants from Wyszkow, Poland, moved to Manning by 1929, where they purchased this building for use as a department store and leased a stable on South Mill Street. According to Sylvia Clark, the Richmans shipped local furs to merchants in the north and in turn received second-hand shoes, which Sam repaired in house and sold. The store closed sometime in the 1960s.

Main Image:

Advertisement placed by Sam Richman seeking a skilled African American employee to help with shoe repair at Richman’s Department store, The State, January 18, 1930

The Jewish Merchant Project is supported by the generosity of the Norman and Gerry Sue Arnold Foundation and the Stanley B. Farbstein Endowment at the Coastal Community Foundation. Longtime members of the JHSSC, Mr. Arnold obm, a merchant himself, and Mr. Farbstein obm were both children of South Carolina Jewish merchants.

JHSSC Office
Sylvia Vlosky Yaschik Jewish Studies Center
96 Wentworth Street
Charleston, SC 29424
Phone: 843 953 3918
Email: jhssc@cofc.edu