Rowe-Tomlinson Drugs, Inc.

Merchant
May 1953 – April 1995

Main Street
Summerton, SC 29148

FAMILIES: Gordin, Levine, Tomlinson, Rowe

David Gordin (1928-2013) incorporated Rowe-Tomlinson Drugs, Inc. with Willie E. Tomlinson and John E. Rowe on May 12, 1953. David was born to Morris (1885-1957) and Sarah Levine Gordin (1892-1951), who owned a dry goods business, M. Gordin (later Gordin’s Dry Goods Store), on East Main Street in Summerton, South Carolina. After graduating from the University of South Carolina in 1952, David briefly worked for his father before opening Rowe-Tomlinson. The pharmacy also featured a soda fountain and retail space. Gordin became the sole proprietor on May 25, 1972 and sold the business in 1995.

Main Image: David Gordin poses in front of Rowe-Tomlinson Drugs, circa 1985. Image courtesy Rachel Gordin Barnett 

 

Left Image: Rowe-Tomlinson employee poses inside Rowe-Tomlinson Drugs, circa 1985. Image courtesy Rachel Gordin Barnett 

 

Right Image: David Gordin poses inside Rowe-Tomlinson Drugs, circa 1985. Image courtesy Rachel Gordin Barnett 

 

Left Image: David Gordin poses inside Rowe-Tomlinson Drugs, circa 1985. Image courtesy Rachel Gordin Barnett 

 

Right Image: David Gordin and a long-time employee pose inside Rowe-Tomlinson Drugs, circa 1985. Image courtesy Rachel Gordin Barnett 

 

Left Image: Customers seated inside Rowe-Tomlinson Drugs, circa 1965. Image courtesy Rachel Gordin Barnett

The Jewish Merchant Project is supported by the generosity of the Norman and Gerry Sue Arnold Foundation and the Stanley B. Farbstein Endowment at the Coastal Community Foundation. Longtime members of the JHSSC, Mr. Arnold obm, a merchant himself, and Mr. Farbstein obm were both children of South Carolina Jewish merchants.

JHSSC Office
Sylvia Vlosky Yaschik Jewish Studies Center
96 Wentworth Street
Charleston, SC 29424
Phone: 843 953 3918
Email: jhssc@cofc.edu