The Fashion Store

Clothier
1915-1933

137-145 Laurens Steet SW
Aiken, SC 29801

FAMILIES: Goodman, Harris, and Polier

Augusta Harris Polier (1864-1929) was born in Russia and immigrated to the United States in the late 1880s. Around the time or her immigration, Augusta Harris Polier married Morris Samuel Polier (1860-1935). Augusta’s husband, following his older brother, Harris Louis Polier (1850-1921), immigrated from Russia and settled in Aiken. By the middle of the 1910s, Augusta Harris Polier had established a millinery shop. By 1918, Augusta Harris Polier had changed her store’s name to The Fashion Store. The Fashion Store was located next to her husband’s barber shop, in the heart of the commercial district on Laurens Street. When she passed away in 1929, Augusta Harris Polier’s daughter, Rebecca Polier Goodman (1896-1974), began managing the business. In 1933, The Fashion Store closed. 

 

Main Image:

Advertisement for the Fashion Store, 1918. Reprinted from the Aiken Standard, May 22, 1918. 

The Jewish Merchant Project is supported by the generosity of the Norman and Gerry Sue Arnold Foundation and the Stanley B. Farbstein Endowment at the Coastal Community Foundation. Longtime members of the JHSSC, Mr. Arnold obm, a merchant himself, and Mr. Farbstein obm were both children of South Carolina Jewish merchants.

JHSSC Office
Sylvia Vlosky Yaschik Jewish Studies Center
96 Wentworth Street
Charleston, SC 29424
Phone: 843 953 3918
Email: jhssc@cofc.edu