The Fashion

Clothier
1926-1933

101 East Main Street
Spartanburg, SC 29306

FAMILIES: Miller; Cohen

Joseph Miller (1876-1935) immigrated to the United States about 1890 and likely initially settled in New York, where he met his wife, Ida Cohen (1871-1967). Their first son, David Miller, was born in Spartanburg in 1896, although at that time Joseph was still a peddler. He is listed as a salesman working in “installment goods” in Spartanburg until 1908, when he opened Standard Cloak Company. He brought on a partner, Abraham H. Morris (1872-1956), by 1920 and by 1926 opened two stores: Miller’s and The Fashion, a ladies’ ready-to-wear and millinery shop. He closed Miller’s, a department store, shortly thereafter to focus on this business. The Fashion incorporated by 1930 with David Miller as president and Joseph acting as a buyer. The Millers closed the business before 1934 and moved to Charlotte, North Carolina.

Main image: Advertisement for The Fashion, 1926. Reprinted from the Spartanburg Herald-Journal, September 3, 1926.

The Jewish Merchant Project is supported by the generosity of the Norman and Gerry Sue Arnold Foundation and the Stanley B. Farbstein Endowment at the Coastal Community Foundation. Longtime members of the JHSSC, Mr. Arnold obm, a merchant himself, and Mr. Farbstein obm were both children of South Carolina Jewish merchants.

JHSSC Office
Sylvia Vlosky Yaschik Jewish Studies Center
96 Wentworth Street
Charleston, SC 29424
Phone: 843 953 3918
Email: jhssc2020@gmail.com