Polish immigrants Wolfe (1848-1904) and Dora Witcover (1845-1924) arrived in the United States at the beginning of the Civil War, and decided to leave Atlanta around 1865. They moved to Timmonsville, South Carolina, where they opened a dry goods store. By 1870, William (Wolfe), a grocer, and Dora, who was “keeping house,” had a personal estate was valued at $1,000. In 1880, the store was listed as both groceries and dry goods. They left Timmonsville for Darlington sometime between 1880 and 1900.