Walgreen Agency Drug Store

Merchant
1938-1980

Front Street
Georgetown, SC 29440

FAMILIES: Abrams; Baruch

Helmar Samuel Abrams (1915-1985) was born in South Carolina to Samuel J. Abrams (1878-1934) and Julia Levy Abrams (1878-1953), both first-generation Americans. The couple previously lived in Virginia and Edenton, North Carolina, where his older brothers, Morris Levy Abrams (1903-1975) and Carroll Paul Abrams (1906-1982) were born. The family moved to Lake City by 1910, where Sidney (1910-1992) and Helmar were born. In 1929, the entire Abrams family moved to Georgetown, where Morris Abrams assumed management of the Princess Theatre. Carroll Adams co-founded Georgetown Cash Depository three years later. After earning a BS in Pharmacy from the University of South Carolina in 1937, Helmar Abrams returned to Georgetown and established a Walgreens franchise. His brother, Sidney, later joined the business. In 1942, Helmar married Deborah Baruch (1921-2017), a cousin of Bernard Mannes Baruch (1870-1965), Wall Street financier and Hobcaw Barony preservationist. The Abrams brothers operated the Walgreens franchise until their retirement in 1980.

Main Image: Abrams advertised for an additional pharmacist in 1938. Reprinted from The State, March 8, 1938

The Jewish Merchant Project is supported by the generosity of the Norman and Gerry Sue Arnold Foundation and the Stanley B. Farbstein Endowment at the Coastal Community Foundation. Longtime members of the JHSSC, Mr. Arnold obm, a merchant himself, and Mr. Farbstein obm were both children of South Carolina Jewish merchants.

JHSSC Office
Sylvia Vlosky Yaschik Jewish Studies Center
96 Wentworth Street
Charleston, SC 29424
Phone: 843 953 3918
Email: jhssc2020@gmail.com