Wolf’s Department Store

Clothier
1924-1954

510 Calhoun Street
Johnston, SC

FAMILIES: Wolf, Grossman, Gaeser, and Cohen

Sam Wolf immigrated from Lepiel, Russia in 1900. He married fellow immigrant Mary Stein Wolfe (1894-1981) in 1912, and together they operated this dry goods business in Johnston. Their four children, Simon Wolf (1912-2006), Sophie Wolf Grossman (1912-1995), Rebecca Wolf Gaeser (1915-2013), and Ann Wolf Cohen (1919-2010), all worked as salespeople. The store eventually sold ladies’ ready-to-wear, hats, and shoes. Sam retired and closed the store in 1954.

The Jewish Merchant Project is supported by the generosity of the Norman and Gerry Sue Arnold Foundation and the Stanley B. Farbstein Endowment at the Coastal Community Foundation. Longtime members of the JHSSC, Mr. Arnold obm, a merchant himself, and Mr. Farbstein obm were both children of South Carolina Jewish merchants.

JHSSC Office
Sylvia Vlosky Yaschik Jewish Studies Center
96 Wentworth Street
Charleston, SC 29424
Phone: 843 953 3918
Email: jhssc@cofc.edu