Harry Hirsch founded Hirsch’s Quality Shop in Beaufort in 1922. Prior to opening his Beaufort store, Hirsch worked as a merchant in Savannah, Georgia. After Hirsch died in 1925, his wife, Rae Lillian Hirsch (1898-1985) continued to run the business. In 1928, Hirsch’s Quality Shop moved into the space previously occupied by Morris Levin’s store on Bay Street. When the Hirsch’s son, Boris “Bobby” Hirsch (1924-2009), returned to Beaufort in 1945 from military service, he took over the business. Hirsch’s Quality Shop closed its doors in 1989.
Above: Reprinted from The State, September 8, 1928.