Martin’s Men’s Store

Clothier
c.1950-c.1980

811 Bay Street
Beaufort, SC

FAMILIES: Levine; Weitzner

Goldie Weitzner (1918-2011) and Martin Levine (1914-1980) married in 1940. The couple moved to Beaufort in 1950, where they owned and operated Martin’s Men’s Store on Bay Street for over thirty years.

Main Image: Martin’s Men’s Store and Palmetto Studio display windows along Bay Street (1967)
Culp Collection, Courtesy of Beaufort County Library, (SC)

The Jewish Merchant Project is supported by the generosity of the Norman and Gerry Sue Arnold Foundation and the Stanley B. Farbstein Endowment at the Coastal Community Foundation. Longtime members of the JHSSC, Mr. Arnold obm, a merchant himself, and Mr. Farbstein obm were both children of South Carolina Jewish merchants.

JHSSC Office
Sylvia Vlosky Yaschik Jewish Studies Center
96 Wentworth Street
Charleston, SC 29424
Phone: 843 953 3918
Email: jhssc2020@gmail.com