After the closure of New York Shoe Store around 1965, Meyer Lurey (1915-1996), owner and operator of that business, retired for about a year before he opened clothier Mr. Shirt in Greenville’s Lake Forest Shopping Center around 1967. Initially intended to be a temporary business to sell down an inventory of shirts, the success of the Mr. Shirt led to its continued operation until around 1983. Lurey recruited his brother-in-law, Martin Bolonkin (1923-2003), to assist with sales during the store’s first few months of operation.