Eagle News Stand

Merchant
1934-1947

411 ½ King Street
Charleston, SC 29403

FAMILIES: Doobrow, Goldberg

Louie Doobrow (1905-1980), the son of Russian immigrants Joseph Doobrow (1873-1945) and Mary Goldberg (1877-1955), became the manager of the Eagle News Stand in 1934 after closing his grocery store on Elizabeth Street. By 1938, it became Eagle Cigar Shop, and from 1947 until 1952 it operated as a liquor store. Louie, and his wife, Gussie Mendelson (1906-1981), later opened The Nursey Center at 3697 Rivers Avenue in North Charleston and Eagle Mens Store at 569 King Street.

The Jewish Merchant Project is supported by the generosity of the Norman and Gerry Sue Arnold Foundation and the Stanley B. Farbstein Endowment at the Coastal Community Foundation. Longtime members of the JHSSC, Mr. Arnold obm, a merchant himself, and Mr. Farbstein obm were both children of South Carolina Jewish merchants.

JHSSC Office
Sylvia Vlosky Yaschik Jewish Studies Center
96 Wentworth Street
Charleston, SC 29424
Phone: 843 953 3918
Email: jhssc@cofc.edu