Nathan Yaschik (1878-1959) immigrated from Kaluszyn, Poland to Charleston in 1913, where he initially worked as an ice cream cart peddler. The following year, while employed as a clerk at Kaufman & Feldbrand’s grocery store at 49 Elizabeth Street, his wife, Elka Yaschik (1878-1961) and sons, Benjamin and Henry (1909-2000) also immigrated from Poland. After a stint as a grocer at 131 Queen Street, Nathan opened a country-style dry goods store at 150 King Street. Throughout the 1920s the family periodically boarded on the second floor, and Henry worked as a clerk in the store. It closed in 1930.