Reubin Gordin’s Store

Merchant
unknown – 1920

Main Street
Lake City , SC

FAMILIES: Gordin

Reubin Gordin, who immigrated from Lomsk, Russia around 1905, with his brothers Louis Gordin (1880-1962) and Morris Gordin (1885-1957) and opened Gordin Brothers in Orangeburg by 1907, operated a store in Lake City by 1920.

Main Image: Advertisement for a major sale of summer and fall goods at Reubin Gordin’s. Reprinted from the Kingstree County Record, August 26, 1920

The Jewish Merchant Project is supported by the generosity of the Norman and Gerry Sue Arnold Foundation and the Stanley B. Farbstein Endowment at the Coastal Community Foundation. Longtime members of the JHSSC, Mr. Arnold obm, a merchant himself, and Mr. Farbstein obm were both children of South Carolina Jewish merchants.

JHSSC Office
Sylvia Vlosky Yaschik Jewish Studies Center
96 Wentworth Street
Charleston, SC 29424
Phone: 843 953 3918
Email: jhssc@cofc.edu