In August 1891, German immigrant Alfred Abraham Strauss (1841-1925), a prominent merchant who owned stores in Mayesville, Summerton, and Wisacky, South Carolina, purchased the stock of Sumter, South Carolina’s L. Glick. To help run the business, which dealt in farm equipment, Strauss recruited Samuel Weinberg (1861-1955) as his partner. In 1897, Weinberg left A. A. Strauss & Co. to open his own store in Sumter. A. A. Strauss & Co. remained in operation through at least 1922.
Main Image: A. A. Strauss & Co. advertisement. Reprinted from The Watchman and Southron, February 27, 1909.