A. A. Strauss


Camden, SC

FAMILIES: Strauss; Weinberg

Around 1872, German immigrant Alfred Abraham Strauss (1841-1925), a prominent merchant who previously owned a store in Mayesville, South Carolina, opened a general store in Camden, South Carolina. Named after Strauss, the store was managed by John B. Arrants, and remained open through 1873. Strauss went on to open stores in Sumter, South Carolina and Wisacky, South Carolina.

Main Image: A. A. Strauss advertisement. Reprinted from Camden Journal, November 7, 1872.

The Jewish Merchant Project is supported by the generosity of the Henry & Sylvia Yaschik Foundation and the Stanley B. Farbstein Endowment at the Coastal Community Foundation.

JHSSC Office
Sylvia Vlosky Yaschik Jewish Studies Center
96 Wentworth Street
Charleston, SC 29424
Phone: 843 953 3918