Around 1880, Altamont Moses (1846-1905), son of Judge Montgomery Moses (1808-1886) and Catherine Esther Phillips Moses (1809-1885), opened a general merchandise store in Sumter, South Carolina from which he sold a wide variety of goods, including clothes, groceries, agricultural products, crockery, and tobacco products. On September 1, 1881, he relocated the store to the northeast corner of Main and Liberty Streets in downtown Sumter. Moses operated the store until around 1887. By 1900, he became employed as the secretary of Sumter Cotton Mills. In addition to his work as a merchant, during the 1880s, Moses worked as a fire insurance manager.
Main Image: Altamont Moses advertisement. Reprinted from The Watchman and Southron, August 2, 1881.
Above Image: Altamont Moses advertisement. Reprinted from The Watchman and Southron, March 31, 1885.