In September 1944, Belle Denemark Blum (1912-1969) opened women’s clothier Belle Blum Dress Shop in Beaufort, South Carolina. The store was initially located in Mrs. Blum’s home in Beaufort’s Floyd Heights neighborhood. Two months later, the store moved to the basement of the historic Rhett House on Craven Street. The store closed in 1945 when Belle and her husband, Jack (1908-1965), moved to Sumter.
After their move, Belle and Jack opened women’s clothier Blum’s Ladies’ Ready-to-Wear at 11 South Main Street. In 1950, the store relocated to the ground floor of the Dixie Life Building at 3 North Main Street. In 1963, the store relocated again, this time to 136 North Main Street. Blum’s Ladies’ Ready-to-Wear closed its doors only a few months before Jack’s death in 1965.
Main Image: Blum’s Ladies’ Ready-to-Wear advertisement. Reprinted from The Item, April 1, 1963.
Above: The storefront of Blum’s Ladies’ Ready-to-Wear storefront at 136 North Main Street. Reprinted from The Item, March 4, 1963.