Edward’s Men’s Shop

Clothier
1946-1965

1338 Assembly Street
Columbia, SC

FAMILIES: Rivkin; Morris

Roselen Morris (1926-2008) immigrated to the United States from Romania with her family in 1932. They settled in South Bend, Indiana, where Roselen’s father worked as a tailor for a large company called Gilbert. During World War II, the local synagogue held Sunday tea parties for Jewish servicemen. At one of those parties, Roselen met her future husband, Arnold Rivkin (1922-2008), who attended Notre Dame and served in the Navy at the time. In August 1946, the pair married in South Bend. Three months later they moved to Columbia, Arnold’s hometown, to operate clothier Edward’s Men’s Shop at 1338 Assembly Street. In 1963, the Rivkins opened clothier Mark’s Men’s Wear on Main Street. In 1965, they closed Edward’s Men’s Shop.

Main Image: Edward’s Men’s Shop, March 21, 1957. Courtesy The State Newspaper Photograph Archive, Richland Library, Columbia, S.C.

 

Above Image: Reprinted from The State, March 5, 1965.

The Jewish Merchant Project is supported by the generosity of the Norman and Gerry Sue Arnold Foundation and the Stanley B. Farbstein Endowment at the Coastal Community Foundation. Longtime members of the JHSSC, Mr. Arnold obm, a merchant himself, and Mr. Farbstein obm were both children of South Carolina Jewish merchants.

JHSSC Office
Sylvia Vlosky Yaschik Jewish Studies Center
96 Wentworth Street
Charleston, SC 29424
Phone: 843 953 3918
Email: jhssc2020@gmail.com