Furniture Warehouse Design Gallery

Merchant
2000-Present

745 Robert Smalls Parkway
Beaufort, SC

FAMILIES: Mark

In 1972, Larry Mark, opened Furniture Warehouse on Carteret Street with the help of his parents, Ernest Mark (1917-1987) and Rose Yospe Mark (died 2014), who purchased the store’s initial inventory and helped pay the rent. Furniture Warehouse prospered as it catered to both local families and Marines, who preferred to buy local furniture to save money on shipping costs and used their reenlistment bonuses to purchase new furniture. Larry Mark’s brother, Michael, joined the business after he graduated from the University of South Carolina in 1985. In 2000, as downtown Beaufort became busier, Larry Mark relocated the business to a new 60,000 square foot sales warehouse on Robert Smalls Parkway and changed its name to Furniture Warehouse Design Gallery.

The Jewish Merchant Project is supported by the generosity of the Norman and Gerry Sue Arnold Foundation and the Stanley B. Farbstein Endowment at the Coastal Community Foundation. Longtime members of the JHSSC, Mr. Arnold obm, a merchant himself, and Mr. Farbstein obm were both children of South Carolina Jewish merchants.

JHSSC Office
Sylvia Vlosky Yaschik Jewish Studies Center
96 Wentworth Street
Charleston, SC 29424
Phone: 843 953 3918
Email: jhssc2020@gmail.com