By 1939, Paul Garber (1886-1950), a Russian immigrant who founded Garber’s department store in Batesburg in 1906, established a branch store in Allendale, South Carolina. Paul operated the stores until his death in 1950, at which point he passed the business on to his sons, Julius (1915-2005) and Leon (1923-2012). Leon ran the Allendale store, which he renamed Garber & Co., until 1989.
Main Image: Garber & Co. advertisement. Reprinted from The State, May 19, 1963.