Garfunkel Bros.


440 King Street
Charleston, SC

FAMILIES: Garfunkel

Only a few years after the Garfunkel family returned to Charleston from Columbia in the early 1880s, the two oldest sons, Benjamin (1867-undetermined) and Sam (1863-undetermined), established a clothing manufactory and store by the name of Garfunkel Bros. at 440 King Street. The brothers quickly expanded their business to include the storefront at 438 King Street, and they employed their father, Moses (1839-1919), as the store’s manager and their younger brother Aaron (1872-1940) as a clerk. Benjamin and Sam left Charleston by the end of 1894, signaling the end of Garfunkel Bros.

The Jewish Merchant Project is supported by the generosity of the Henry & Sylvia Yaschik Foundation and the Stanley B. Farbstein Endowment at the Coastal Community Foundation.

JHSSC Office
Sylvia Vlosky Yaschik Jewish Studies Center
96 Wentworth Street
Charleston, SC 29424
Phone: 843 953 3918