H. Lurey & Sons, Inc.


Laurens, SC


In 1905, Hymen Lurey (1890-1965) immigrated to the United States from Bialystok, Russia (present-day Bialystok, Poland) with his mother, Mashe Lea Lurey (1856-1932), and siblings, Annie Lurie Rosenthal (1883-1962) and Samuel Lurey (1889-1960). After they arrived in the United States, the Lureys joined their brother, Jake Lurey (1880-1946), and father, Zelick Lurey (1856-1931), in Rhode Island. Around 1909, the Lureys moved to Spartanburg, South Carolina, where Jake’s wife, Annie Hecklin Lurey (1880-1951), had family. Around, Hymen moved to Laurens, South Carolina, where he opened clothier and cobbler New York Sample Shoe Store. Around 1910, Hymen opened a scrap metal business in Laurens, which eventually became known as H. Lurey & Sons, Inc. In 1912, he married Dorothy “Dora” Fayonsky (1891-1976). The couple raised three children in Laurens: Esther Lurey Ginsberg (1912-1996), Sadie Lurey Kennedy (1917-1994), and Meyer Lurey (1915-1996). Esther and Meyer went on to work for their father’s scrap metal business.

Main Image: Reprinted from The Laurens Advertiser, August 30, 1920.


Above: Reprinted from The Laurens Advertiser, October 25, 1922.

The Jewish Merchant Project is supported by the generosity of the Henry & Sylvia Yaschik Foundation and the Stanley B. Farbstein Endowment at the Coastal Community Foundation.

JHSSC Office
Sylvia Vlosky Yaschik Jewish Studies Center
96 Wentworth Street
Charleston, SC 29424
Phone: 843 953 3918