Hirsch-Israel Company

Clothier
1884-1919

275 King Street
Charleston, SC 29401

FAMILIES: Hirsch; Israel

Isaac Willard Hirsch (1844-1925) and the Israel brothers— Samuel (1863-1945) and Isadore (1864-1925)—opened Hirsch, Israel, & Co. at 273 King Street in 1884. There, they sold boys’ and men’s clothing and officially stocked uniforms for the Charleston police. Around 1892, two additional Israel brothers—Lewis (1867-1903) and Arthur (1868-1931—joined the company.

 

After renting a store on the northwest corner of Wentworth and King streets for over a decade, Isaac Hirsch, Samuel Israel, and Arthur Israel, purchased two nearby lots, demolished the existing buildings, and hired renowned architect Paul J. Pelz to design a Baroque Revival structure that was regarded by The Charleston Evening Post as “A Palatial Clothing House” when it opened in January 1897.1 Also described as one of “the handsomest business houses in the South,” Hirsch-Israel Company’s storefront touted the second largest set of French plate glass in the country, and it’s interior featured a grand staircase, an electrically powered elevator, nine chandeliers, and a skylight.2 With an expanded line of men’s, women’s, and children’s clothing, shoes, and accessories, Hirsch-Israel Company became a destination for Charlestonians and tourists alike.

 

In the years following the grand reopening, Isaac served as the president of the company, while Samuel acted as the vice-president, and Arthur worked as the secretary and treasurer. Around 1906, Isaac Hirsch sold his interest to Arthur, and in 1907, Samuel retired from the company. Arthur continued to lead Hirsch-Israel Company until selling the building to Dime Savings Bank in 1919. His brother Melvin (1870-1931) and his brother-in-law Montague Triest (1871-1927)—the proprietors of Triest & Israel Auctioneers—sold the department store’s remaining merchandise.

 

1 “A Palatial Clothing House,” Charleston Evening Post, January 20, 1897, 2.
2 Ibid.

Main Image: The Dime Savings Bank, formerly Hirsch-Israel Company, depicted in a newspaper notice dated March 29, 1925. Image courtesy of Charleston County Public Library

 

Above Image: Left to right: Samuel, Lewis, Arthur, and Melvin Israel. Reprinted from Larry W. Freudenberg’s Freudenberg Family Scrapbook (2011)

 

Above Image: Advertisements for Hirsch-Israel Company. Left: Reprinted from The Charleston Evening Post, June 1, 1896. Right: Reprinted from The Charleston Evening Post, September 30, 1919

The Jewish Merchant Project is supported by the generosity of the Henry & Sylvia Yaschik Foundation and the Stanley B. Farbstein Endowment at the Coastal Community Foundation.

JHSSC Office
Sylvia Vlosky Yaschik Jewish Studies Center
96 Wentworth Street
Charleston, SC 29424
Phone: 843 953 3918