Karl and Lea Sutker

Clothier
c.1935-c.1951


Walterboro, SC

FAMILIES: Sutker

After they married in 1935, Karl (1910-1994) and Lea Sutker (1916-2015) opened a clothing and appliance store in Walterboro, and helped found Temple Mt. Sinai Synagogue there in 1950 before they moved to Beaufort. In Beaufort, the couple opened Beaufort Yacht Basin, a marina on the Intracoastal Waterway, and The Galley restaurant. After 1955, Lea worked for Schein’s, Fox Jewelers, United 5&10, and People’s Bank in Beaufort.

Main Image: Temple Mt. Sinai groundbreaking, Walterboro, South Carolina, 1950. Karl Sutker, second from left.

Collection of Paul Siegel.

The Jewish Merchant Project is supported by the generosity of the Norman and Gerry Sue Arnold Foundation and the Stanley B. Farbstein Endowment at the Coastal Community Foundation. Longtime members of the JHSSC, Mr. Arnold obm, a merchant himself, and Mr. Farbstein obm were both children of South Carolina Jewish merchants.

JHSSC Office
Sylvia Vlosky Yaschik Jewish Studies Center
96 Wentworth Street
Charleston, SC 29424
Phone: 843 953 3918
Email: jhssc2020@gmail.com