Max’s Department Store

Clothier
c.1930-1979

127 Hampton Avenue
Kingstree, SC

FAMILIES: Drucker

Max Drucker (1892-1979), an Austrian immigrant, opened Max’s Department Store on Hampton Street in Kingstree. After Drucker’s death, his wife, Lila Mae McKenzie Drucker (1914-1989), ran the business. She then passed on the business to her son, Richard W. McKenzie Sr (1936-2020), and daughter-in-law, Nancy Spears McKenzie (1940-2018), both of whom were Baptist Christians.

Main Image: Kiddie Shop and Max’s Department Store, 123-129 North Hampton Street. Courtesy National Register of Historic Places program, S.C. Department of Archives and History

 

Above Image: Max Drucker, circa 1930. Image from https://www.geni.com/photo/view/6000000002305795797?album_type=photos_of_me&photo_id=6000000003199006544.

The Jewish Merchant Project is supported by the generosity of the Norman and Gerry Sue Arnold Foundation and the Stanley B. Farbstein Endowment at the Coastal Community Foundation. Longtime members of the JHSSC, Mr. Arnold obm, a merchant himself, and Mr. Farbstein obm were both children of South Carolina Jewish merchants.

JHSSC Office
Sylvia Vlosky Yaschik Jewish Studies Center
96 Wentworth Street
Charleston, SC 29424
Phone: 843 953 3918
Email: jhssc2020@gmail.com