Rudowitz & Co.

Cobbler
1916-1930

802 Bay Street
Beaufort, SC

FAMILIES: Rudowitz

Abraham Rudowitz (1890-1930) immigrated to the United States from Russia in 1908. In 1915, Rudowitz married Fannie Papish (1893-1970), who immigrated to the United States from Russia in 1910. The couple had one child, Evelyn (1915-1996), who would go on to marry Dr. Sol Neidich (1913-1996). In 1916, the Rudowitzes opened a cobbler/shoe store/clothier business at 802 Bay Street in Beaufort. After Abraham died in 1930, Fannie went into business with Dr. Sol Neidich’s father, Morris Neidich.

Main Image: Reprinted from The State, May 24, 1930

The Jewish Merchant Project is supported by the generosity of the Norman and Gerry Sue Arnold Foundation and the Stanley B. Farbstein Endowment at the Coastal Community Foundation. Longtime members of the JHSSC, Mr. Arnold obm, a merchant himself, and Mr. Farbstein obm were both children of South Carolina Jewish merchants.

JHSSC Office
Sylvia Vlosky Yaschik Jewish Studies Center
96 Wentworth Street
Charleston, SC 29424
Phone: 843 953 3918
Email: jhssc2020@gmail.com