The Capitol


Main Street
Andrews, SC 29510


The Capitol, or Capitol Department Store, was opened by the Moskow family around 1935. According to Jerome Moskow (1917-1998), his father Robert Moskow (1892-1965) played a pivotal role in helping Hyman Brody (1876-1946) establish Capitol Department Store in Sumter in 1934. Building on the latter’s reputation, Robert opened his own store called the Capitol in Andrews shortly thereafter. By the mid-1950s, the family was also operating Moskow’s Department Store and Moskow’s Men’s Store on Main Street. Jerome recounted that the Capitol “carried high-class merchandise,” Moskow’s Department Store featured “low-price merchandise,” and the men’s store was where they “sold exclusive stuff.”1 As Robert aged, Jerome took over the Capitol and ultimately managed the store until his father’s death. Jerome later established Moskow Accounting.


Known for his strong sense of civic pride and duty, Jerome is remembered for his role in establishing the Andrews Museum and Andrews Public Library, as well as chartering the Andrews Lions Club. He also held leadership positions on the Andrews School Board, Andrews Fire Department, and Andrews Planning Commission, and faithfully served the congregation of Beth Or Synagogue in Kingstree for decades. In 1973, he was awarded the South Carolina Municipal Association Award and, in 1996, received the South Carolina Order of the Palmetto Award from Governor David Beasley.



1 “Jewish Heritage Collection: Oral History Interview with Jerome Moskow,” by Dale Rosengarten, Mindell K. Seltzer, and Norton M. Seltzer, College of Charleston Libraries, 1995,

Main Image: Photograph of Jerome Moskow. Uploaded to Find-a-Grave by Melissa Moskow.

The Jewish Merchant Project is supported by the generosity of the Henry & Sylvia Yaschik Foundation and the Stanley B. Farbstein Endowment at the Coastal Community Foundation.

JHSSC Office
Sylvia Vlosky Yaschik Jewish Studies Center
96 Wentworth Street
Charleston, SC 29424
Phone: 843 953 3918