Wolpert’s Department Store

Merchant
1910s-1920s


Lake City, SC 29560

FAMILIES: Wolpert; Kroll

Bernard “Barney” Meyer Wolpert (1893-1964) was born in New York to Max Wolpert (1860-1927) and Bertha Karabelnicko Wolpert (b. 1864), who had immigrated from Russia in 1890. Max Wolpert worked his way up from a peddler to a produce merchant specializing in fish and then fruit. In the mid-1910s, Bernard Wolpert married Kate Kroll (1893-1970). Between 1917 and 1920, Bernard and Kate Wolpert moved to Lake City, South Carolina. Bernard worked as a dry goods merchant while his wife kept house and raised their children. For the next decade, Bernard Wolpert ran a dry goods retail business in Lake City. By 1927, the Wolpert family had relocated to Loris, South Carolina where shortly after Bernard Wolpert opened a department store that his descendants still operate.

The Jewish Merchant Project is supported by the generosity of the Norman and Gerry Sue Arnold Foundation and the Stanley B. Farbstein Endowment at the Coastal Community Foundation. Longtime members of the JHSSC, Mr. Arnold obm, a merchant himself, and Mr. Farbstein obm were both children of South Carolina Jewish merchants.

JHSSC Office
Sylvia Vlosky Yaschik Jewish Studies Center
96 Wentworth Street
Charleston, SC 29424
Phone: 843 953 3918
Email: jhssc2020@gmail.com