The Battery Clothing Store at 50 Morgan Square was a short-lived clothing business operated by Abraham “Abe” Goldberg (b. 1877) and Hyman Ougust (1874-1932), both of whom operated other ventures after its closure. Ougust, who was also known as Hyman August, immigrated from Russia to New York in 1890. In 1897, he married Celia Meyerson (b. 1875), the sister of Spartanburg merchants Louis A. and Abe Meyerson; they had three children before moving to Spartanburg about 1905 and opening this business. By 1908, Ougust opened New York Loan Office, a pawn shop. Abe Goldberg immigrated from Germany to New York in 1890 and moved to Spartanburg with his wife, Esther, by 1903. He initially operated the clothing store K. Goldberg & Son with his mother, Kate, before opening this business. In 1906, he opened A. Goldberg at this site (later known as 130 Morgan Square and 130 W. Main Street), which remained in business until about 1928, although the Goldbergs moved back to New York by 1920.