H. Becker & Son

Merchant
c. 1891-c. 1920

134 and 434 King Street
Charleston, SC

FAMILIES: Becker, Baker, and Ravdin

Chaim (Hyman) Becker (b. 1860) immigrated from Zabludow, near Bialystock, Russia, in 1884, with his eldest son, Louis (1882-1946). He settled in Mount Pleasant, across the harbor from Charleston, where he operated H. Becker, a dry goods store, at a succession of addresses: 535 King Street (1891), 494 King Street (1897); 490 ½ and 541 King Street (1898), and then two stores beginning in 1899: 140-436 and 490 ½ King Street (1900-1901) and 134 and 434 King Street (1902-c. 1920). His wife, Hannah (Annie) Kraftchick Becker (1862-1932), and children Frank Baker (1885) Jennie Baker Ravdin (1896-1941), Jake Baker (1887-1951), David Baker (b. 1890), Joseph (b. 1892), and Meyer Baker (1906-1952) all worked in the store before opening businesses in other cities in South Carolina. Hyman closed the store and moved to Columbia by 1920, where he lived with his daughter, Fannie, until his death.

The Jewish Merchant Project is supported by the generosity of the Norman and Gerry Sue Arnold Foundation and the Stanley B. Farbstein Endowment at the Coastal Community Foundation. Longtime members of the JHSSC, Mr. Arnold obm, a merchant himself, and Mr. Farbstein obm were both children of South Carolina Jewish merchants.

JHSSC Office
Sylvia Vlosky Yaschik Jewish Studies Center
96 Wentworth Street
Charleston, SC 29424
Phone: 843 953 3918
Email: jhssc@cofc.edu