Miller’s

Merchant
1926

167 East Main Street
Spartanburg, SC 29306

FAMILIES: Miller; Cohen

Joseph Miller (1876-1935) immigrated to the United States about 1890 and likely initially settled in New York, where he met his wife, Ida Cohen (1871-1967). Their first son, David Miller, was born in Spartanburg in 1896, although at that time Joseph was still a peddler. He is listed as a salesman working in “installment goods” in Spartanburg until 1908, when he opened Standard Cloak Company. He brought on a partner, Abraham H. Morris (1872-1956), by 1920 and by 1926 opened two stores: The Fashion and Miller’s, a department store. Miller’s operated only briefly; by 1928 Miller was focused solely on The Fashion, a ladies’ ready-to-wear shop. Miller moved to Charlotte, NC in the early 1930s, where he died in 1935.

Main image: Advertisement for Miller’s, 1926. Reprinted from the Spartanburg Herald-Journal, April 1, 1926.

The Jewish Merchant Project is supported by the generosity of the Norman and Gerry Sue Arnold Foundation and the Stanley B. Farbstein Endowment at the Coastal Community Foundation. Longtime members of the JHSSC, Mr. Arnold obm, a merchant himself, and Mr. Farbstein obm were both children of South Carolina Jewish merchants.

JHSSC Office
Sylvia Vlosky Yaschik Jewish Studies Center
96 Wentworth Street
Charleston, SC 29424
Phone: 843 953 3918
Email: jhssc2020@gmail.com